Re: Help getting started

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Help getting started
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:32:24 +0200

Hopefully, the answer to most of your questions can be founds
in Chapter 4 "Changing defaults" of the manual.
Regarding the original question, look at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Selecting-font-sizes.html#Selecting%20font%20sizes
especially the last line about predefined commands.
However, it may not be the note size but the distance between the
notes that's the bottle neck here. Unfortunately, that's a bit
trickier, but you can find some info at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Horizontal-spacing.html#Horizontal%20spacing

Joe Neeman wrote:

I'm researching "how do I make a note head smaller" because I need to fit a few more notes on a line to keep it from going nuts and extending lines way past explicit "\break" commands. I've googled and grep'd tons of documents, and I still don't know how to do it. I've found possible solutions, but the syntax doesn't seem to work anywhere I place the commands. I've tried searching the

\override Staff.NoteHead #'font-size = #-1.0
This seems to work if you put it inside the \notes block. Its all in the program reference, but it's a nightmare to sift through and it still seems to require lots of trial and error. For example:
1) what do #' and # mean? They seem to get used a lot.
See
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Scheme-tutorial.html#Scheme%20tutorial

2) the Staff context here doesn't have to be created explicitly. What sort of contexts get created implicitly and how long to they last?
Since notes are handles by the Voice contexts and Voice contexts
have to live in a Staff context, these two are created implicitly
as soon as you enter some music. See
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Interpretation-contexts.html#Interpretation%20contexts
with subsections.

3) what about << >>? If I use it within a \notes block, it seems to create Voice contexts and combine them into a single staff. But what if I have
<< \new Staff {blah} \new Staff {blah} >>
or
<< \new Staff \new Voice {blah} \new Voice {blah} >>
What do the << >> do in this situation?
And is << \new Staff {\new Voice {blah} \new Voice {blah}} >> any different from the example 2 lines ago?

See http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Music-expressions-explained.html#Music%20expressions%20explained

I have a question to you; how can the manual be changed so that it is
easier to find the answer to your questions?

   /Mats