Re: Changing vertical staff spacing for PianoStaff?

From: Matthias Kilian
Subject: Re: Changing vertical staff spacing for PianoStaff?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:04:55 +0100

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 06:20:48PM +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > is it possible to temporarily extend the vertical alignment of
> > piano staffs? [...]
>
> You can use GrandStaff for this purpose. However, in that case, you
> cannot use cross-staff beams or slurs.

Unfortunately, I need both: cross-staff beams and varying staff
distances. I tried to user a translator and set 'forced-distance to 15,
which helps avoiding collisions at three places, but also is far too
wide for the overal piece.

If I know where line breaks will occur (optionally forcing line breaks),
would it be possible to override 'forced-distance only for one or two
lines? Terminating the current PianoStaff context and starting over with
a new one probably isn't an option, since there are cross-bar slurs from
the narrow to the wide region, i.e.:

    line $n, ends with a figure starting a slur
    line $n+1, starts with a figure ending the slur

Where line $n should be normally spaced ('forced-distance is 12) and
line $n+1 should be large spaced ('forced-distance is 15).

Ciao,
        Kili

ps: I've also a very strange use case of beams shared between normal
and grace-notes, but more on this tomorrow :-)