Fwd: Re: My own wishlist...

From: darius
Subject: Fwd: Re: My own wishlist...
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:18:38 +0100

4all.nl

Quoting Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>:

> address@hidden writes:
> > My question - I would not dare call it a request... - was related to
> > something I see as very unsophisticated. My belief, and a number of
> > messages on this mailing list seem to agree with me on this matter -
> > is that a simplistic function-like facility would prove immensely
>
> Nice and dandy, but why does it have to be in Lilypond? There are tons
> of macro processors that will do your job.

Good point. As a matter of fact, I currently use m4. It does the job, but...

- error reporting is a pain, as line numbers are desynchronized
- integration is a pain, as Lilypond's and m4's syntax conflict, for
  instance, on the meaning of commas. Hence, lots of escaping is required.
- emacs or jEdit integration and modes do not work well

Agreed, these are minor complains, but they make my scores barely readable
to a "normal" Lilypond user.