(Artificial) harmonics

From: Maarten Boasson
Subject: (Artificial) harmonics
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:31:46 +0200

I am newcomer to Lilypond, and I like what I see - which to date is only
very little.
Almost immediately I ran into a problem: artificial harmonics (cello
music; the problem is the same for all string instruments, of course).
The solution to that problem came through interaction with Lilypond from
A. Beneteau, who sent me the follwowing exxample:
---
\score {
    \notes
    \new Staff { << { \property Voice.NoteHead \set #'style = #'harmonic
g'} \\ {c'4} >> }
}

Note very obvious, nor short to type, but this is the idea
---
This indeed works. But, I don't think the solution is worthy of
Lilypond: the noteheads are really just a little too small and the entry
is much more cumbersome than necessary, I would think.
For an example, see the attached extract from S. Saens' 3rd violin
concerto: it is clear that the diamond-shaped heads actually cross the
staff lines when the note is between the lines!

My desire would be to have a syntax like the following (but not
necessarily this; anything else that fits better with the Lilypond style
is fine, of course):

                c\ah            for artificial harmonics, in which case
Lilypond would
automatically create the two noteheads that represent this in printed
music: the lower, regular note at the pitch specified, and an open,
diamond shaped one a fourth above it (see attached); for the very rare
case that a different interval is used, an additional modifier could be
used;

                d\nh            for natural harmonics, where only the diamond
shaped head is
printed at the specified pitch.

Maarten Boasson

JPEG image