Re: How to represent shifts in fingering

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: How to represent shifts in fingering
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:16:44 -0500

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 01:13 pm, Daniel Ashton wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:

> > I'm certain that it _can_ be done, but I don't know of any easy
> > way. Here's one way of fudging it, though:
> >
> > \score{\notes{
> > a4^"2" b4^"-2"
> > }}

did you mean

a4^"2-" b4^"-2"

?  And how do you get the fingering typeface when
you do that?  It's not really a satisfactory kludge
without the 'face.  On one occasion I put all the
fingers in quotes to get hyphens with two of them,
but that isn't a very happy solution either.

a4^2"-" b4^"-"2

didn't work either, although I wish something like
that would.  The easiest to implement would be
maybe this:

a4^2\- b4^\-2

or a4^2\hyphen b4^\hyphen2

I believe I requested it a long time ago.

> > (you might want to try something like b4^"---2" instead)
> >
> > BTW, you can also represent fingerings using ^N and _N.  I find
> > this occasionally useful for showing alternate fingerings.

You mean alternative fingerings.  Alternate fingering would be
a trill or something you did half the time.  The late John
Marlow called me on that one time.  :-)

> Interesting technique, but I think this will produce only horizontal
> lines.  What I'm looking for should be similar to the voice follower
> lines created with \property PianoStaff.followVoice .   The chief
> difference, of course, is that the follower lines should follow from
> one fingering to the next.  And it couldn't be automatic.  There
> should be a way to indicate "put a shift line here" in the .ly file.

Using hyphens instead of long lines is a much better
way IMHO.  I have some really ugly examples of
long lines of exactly that sort and purpose in
published music from Erwin Schwarz-Reiflingen IIRC,
which I cited some time ago.  But now as then
you surely should be empowered to do it.

--
Lies are the first casualty of peace.
 dra@ or