Re: Shape notes

From: Sander, Martin
Subject: Re: Shape notes
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:58:18 +0100

Laura Conrad wrote:

> This URL has a clear basic example and pointers to other stuff:
>
> http://web.mit.edu/user/i/j/ijs/www/shapenote.html

OK! Many thanks to you and to Henrik Behrens, who gave me a hint to
google, where I found several links.

Now back to the originial question: Singing all my life out of 'normal'
notes I personally (like Amelie?) see no advantage in shape notes. Maybe
if I was used to them? I know of methods for teaching instruments to
children using colours and so. But I am asking myself (my children
learnt notes the usual way) wether this is really a help and not
something you get addicted to? Will you ever (without major problems,
i.e. with less effort than learning it 'the hard way') get 'free' from
the shapes?

Anyhow. I am not willing to start flames, 'note shape wars' or anything
like that. Just a thought of mine!

Greetings

Martin

--
 Martin Sander       e-mail: address@hidden

 Astrium GmbH - Abt. IP 34  /  Postfach 801168  /  81663 Muenchen
                Tel. 089 - 607-25971 / Fax 089 - 607-21118