Re: RFC on MR 1368

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: RFC on MR 1368
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 19:05:42 +0200

On Wed, 2022-05-25 at 08:02 +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> I have had many similarly exhausting discussions before, so I
> empathize (it is also the reason that I paused my contributions
> recently.)
>
> I would go with Werner's choices here; as the Freetype author, he is
> the expert on font features and technology.
>
> From the MR:
>
> > I equally object to any contribution being merged "because the author knows
> > what he's doing".

For context, this was in response to "I hope that you can trust me,
being the FreeType maintainer since 20 years, on font issues." which,
during code review, makes it far too easy to dismiss arguments without
the needed explanations for "mere mortals".

> I object to reviewers blocking contributions just because they have a
> strong opinion on how things should be done. In this case, Jonas has
> made 0 contributions to the MF code, so I don't think his concerns
> should be overriding.

I'm very sorry that I didn't know this was required to make comments on
merge requests...

Also technically I cannot "block contributions", nobody in the
community has the power to do so. I will, however, point out any
problems in the design or code that I feel worth mentioning. I don't
care if this makes me "likable" or not. I always give technical
arguments to explain my point of view, and that's how I think code
review should work in an open source community.

> If Jonas feels really strongly about how the kerning should be
> handled, I invite him to teach himself the joys of Metafont and try
> his hand at a follow-up MR.

(FWIW this is not how I think reviews should work)