Re: Building lilypond on osx

From: Luca Fascione
Subject: Re: Building lilypond on osx
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 21:50:13 +0200

Thanks a lot Jonas, this is very helpful

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 8:29 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:

> The usually recommended way (and that's also what I use to build the
> packages for macOS) is export PATH="$(brew --prefix bison)/bin:$PATH"
> in the session before configuring.

So I can rely on the build system capturing the resolved path to bison
during configure, like it would for CXX/CXXFLAGS?
Good to know, thanks

> You might also set specific env variables (whose names you'd need to look
> up in the configure script),
> but changing PATH usually works fine.

I did look in the configure help, I couldn't find an env var to adjust how
bison is resolved.
I am passing in directories to resolve the fonts, for example (say
--with-texgyre-dir=/usr/local/Cellar/texlive/58837_1/share/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/)

There's quite a few to specify linkage behaviour that I did find though.

Can't say that I fully understand why we need both URW and Gyre fonts, I
might ask Werner at some point.

> > (I also need to repoint flex and maybe gettext, gettext is strange)
>
> Not sure, flex should be sufficient on macOS

It is. This was me misreading my notes. Sorry for the mixup.
Texinfo seems like it'll need some love (mac seems to have 4.8 and we need
6.1 if I read the docs right),
I'll try the same $(brew --prefix texinfo)/bin into PATH like you suggested
for bison

Guile also seems awkward:

checking for guile-2.2 >= 2.2.0... no
<... snip ...>
checking for guile... guile
checking guile version... 3.0.8

(FWIW I have both 2.2.7 and 3.0.8 installed:

% ll /usr/local/opt/guile*
lrwxr-xr-x  1 xxxxx  xxxxx  21 Feb 27 18:37 /usr/local/opt/guile ->
../Cellar/guile/3.0.8
lrwxr-xr-x  1 xxxxx  xxxxx  25 Jan 16 18:18 /usr/local/opt/guile@2 ->
../Cellar/guile@2/2.2.7_1
lrwxr-xr-x  1 xxxxx  xxxxx  21 Feb 27 18:37 /usr/local/opt/guile@3 ->
../Cellar/guile/3.0.8

)

Where is the testing/detection for Guile set up, roughly?

Thanks again,

Luca Fascione