Re: Building lilypond on osx

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Building lilypond on osx
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 20:29:32 +0200

On Thu, 2022-05-19 at 19:58 +0200, Luca Fascione wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm setting up to build lilypond on osx and I'm trying to keep tidy notes
> so we might add them to the CG once this is all worked out.
> At this time I'm using homebrew as the package manager to install
> dependencies.
>
> OSX installations come with some of the packages lilypond needs available
> as older versions than required, but the system version cannot be changed.
> To deal with this, homebrew introduced the concept of keg-only packages,
> that are made available only for compilation work
> (homebrew likes to build on the user machine if it can).
>
> As I'm working through setting up the parameters to pass to configure I was
> wondering what the recommended approach is to tell the current build system
> to use (for example) /usr/local/Cellar/bison/3.8.2/bin/bison in lieu of
> /usr/bin/bison

The usually recommended way (and that's also what I use to build the
packages for macOS) is export PATH="$(brew --prefix bison)/bin:$PATH"
in the session before configuring. You might also set specific env
variables (whose names you'd need to look up in the configure script),
but changing PATH usually works fine.

> (I also need to repoint flex and maybe gettext, gettext is strange)

Not sure, flex should be sufficient on macOS (at least I don't install
it for building the packages).

Jonas