Re: etags regex for Lilypond & LY_DEFINE* tags

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: etags regex for Lilypond & LY_DEFINE* tags
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 12:41:09 +0200

Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development
<lilypond-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> On Fri, 2022-05-06 at 20:42 -0500, John Wheeler wrote:
>> Please forgive this second attempt to reply:
>>
>> Jean,
>>
>> On 4/28/22 16:14, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
>> > Is it a large script?
>> > If so, it needs some consideration. If not, can it fit in an @example
>> > somewhere in the CG? That might also make it more visible.
>> >
>> The 'script' consists of a shell script to gather various cross-references,
>> two support files containing the regex needed to find LilyPond language
>> cross-references in .ly and .cc files, and a python script to mangle c++
>> identifiers.  Too large to fit in an example in the CG, I think.
>>
>> I did create a paragraph for CG 10.4 Finding Functions to describe its use.
>>
>> By consideration, were you suggesting I submit a merge request and ask
>> for review and comment?
>
> I've traditionally been opposed to adding more such scripts to the
> LilyPond tree, mostly because I spent way too much time trying to
> understand what existing and entirely undocumented ones were doing and
> how they were broken in a zillion ways. My take is that the LilyPond
> repository must only contain what is needed to build and maintain
> LilyPond. IMHO a convenience script (as far as I understand it) does
> not fall into this category, and I would vote *not* to include it.

I cannot follow the characterisation as a "convenience script" here:
making Emacs properly cross-reference functions is IDE support.  We
similarly have IDE support in `.dir-locals.el`.  There is no real point
in doing this in a separate repository since the only use is in
connection with working in the LilyPond source tree.

--
David Kastrup