Re: Bar lines in hymns

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Bar lines in hymns
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 19:03:40 -0500

On Dec 20, 2021, at 16:46, Karlin High <karlinhigh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/19/2021 1:44 PM, Dan Eble wrote:
>> Does anyone know a term for this bar line or practice?
>
> From a music tradition based on older American hymnals, I know this as a
> "phrase bar."

Thank you.  That is the name I was planning to suggest.

> There are publications that used it mid-measure AND mid-system

Yes, I saw a lot of that when I was searching for the example in the OP.

> If you want more documentation, I can try to find it.

Don't put yourself out, though I am curious.

I found the following in _The Boston Handel and Haydn Society Collection of
Church Music_ [1]:

Calling it a "double bar" even when it has only one line is interesting, but I
suppose that "double" refers to its width.

I was also surprised to find that _The Celebration Hymnal_ (1997) has line-end
phrase bars that are no different than the bars that delimit measures.
—
Dan

[1]
https://www.google.ca/books/edition/The_Boston_Handel_and_Haydn_Society_Coll/hkcAAAAAYAAJ