Re: remote branches

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: remote branches
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 12:21:51 +0100

Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development
<lilypond-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> Am Dienstag, den 27.10.2020, 09:45 +0100 schrieb Thomas Morley:

>> > git doesn't delete remote branches on its own, you should do
>> >  $ git fetch -p origin (short for --prune)
>> > once in a while.
>> >
>> > Jonas
>>
>> Works fine, many thanks.
>>
>> Though, I obviously misunderstood what deleting the source branch at
>> gitlab means or more precisely that my local remote one will be
>> unaffected.
>> Worth adding a note to CG?
>
> Sure, patches welcome 😄

It's more of a safety measure than anything else.  If you update from a
repository that lost branches (or has decided not to remove them for
legal or whatever reasons) then your local branch copies are left alone
by default.  It's not entirely consistent behavior I think, just a
measure that makes it more likely that some stuff does not magically
disappear everywhere at once.

--
David Kastrup