Re: lilypond.pot broken (SCM missing)

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: lilypond.pot broken (SCM missing)
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 17:33:18 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 08.10.2020, 13:58 +0200 schrieb Michael Käppler:
> Am 08.10.2020 um 13:35 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 07.10.2020, 22:49 +0200 schrieb Michael Käppler:
> > > Hi all,
> > > while adding gettext calls to all warning and error messages I noticed
> > > that the strings from all SCM files are missing in lilypond.pot.
> > >
> > > Bisecting yielded that
> > >
> > > commit 5e092ee0d9b84d1948dc90e95488e8c9b58576d1
> > > Author: Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@lilypond.org>
> > > Date:   Sat Mar 21 23:46:14 2020 +0100
> > >
> > >       Inline scm stepmake templates
> > >
> > > caused the regression.
> > >
> > > It seems that the definition of $(SCM_FILES) in scm/GNUmakefile does not
> > > reach stepmake/stepmake/po-targets.make,
> > > where it would be needed to run xgettext on it.
> > >
> > > I do not know how to fix this correctly, any advice or MR appreciated.
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/446 should fix
> > this and has some explanations what's going on.
> > On the bad side, this means we've lost the translations for French,
> > Italian, and Japanese in commit ea3ead41. The ones in Catalan, Dutch,
> > Esperanto, Spanish, and Swedish are still there, prefixed by #~.
> >
> > I'm not very familiar how the translation of the po files happens,
> > adding Jean-Charles who "fetches" and commits the files. What do we
> > need to resurrect them? If that requires another release, I'm all for
> > doing 2.21.7 from master before creating a stable branch.
> >
> > Jonas
>
> Hi Jonas,
> thank you very much!
>
> I will upload a MR today that fixes all warnings and errors that
> were not i18ned yet. I think it would be reasonable to merge that
> one, too, before sending the POT file to the Translation project.

Posted here: https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/448

So as discussed on GitLab, we should indeed do a new unstable release
to add back the erroneously removed messages and give the translators a
chance to localize the other warnings and errors. Shall we short-track
the fix and the above MR?
Phil, would you be available to release 2.21.7 once merged?

Regards
Jonas