Re: branching stable/2.22?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: branching stable/2.22?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 01:23:48 +0200

Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> writes:

> Am Dienstag, den 25.08.2020, 07:51 -0600 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
>> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 7:13 AM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:
>> > I know I'll regret it because I still don't know what objective
>> > criteria others have, but as you really insist on a statement:
>> > in the week of 14th of September (this year, 2020, just to be clear)
>> > or put differently: right after 2.21.7, from that very tag
>> > As said before, I wouldn't make any commitment on the date of the final
>> > release.
>>
>> Rather than a date, I'd prefer a criterion.
>>
>> Once we have an unstable release with the build system in good shape
>> (all the auxiliary scripts work well, the website builds correctly,
>> the MacOS build is functional at least on MacPorts), I'd be in favor
>> of creating a pre-release candidate (which in the past has *not*
>> been a stable branch, but a big bump in the version number; the CG
>> refers to this as an alpha) and implementing the Build-frozen state
>> listed in the CG.
>
> Are you sure this is what happened in the past? I mean I didn't
> participate, so all I can rely on is git and the mailing list archives.
>
> For 2.18, I see
>  - release/2.17.29-1 tagged on 20 October 2013
>  -
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2013-10/msg00189.html
>  on 22 October 2013
>  - release/2.17.95-1 tagged on 04 November 2013
>  -
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2013-11/msg00077.html
>  on 05 November 2013
> As far as I understand, stable/2.18 was created before 2.17.95 (which
> was incorrectly released from master, see above). The merge base
> between current master and stable/2.18 points to April 2014 which is
> probably due to a partial merge? Certainly after 2.18.0 had been
> released in December 2013.
>
> For 2.20, I see
>  - considerations in December 2016:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2016-12/msg00348.html
>  -
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-06/msg00030.html
>  on 06 June 2017
>  - release/2.19.65-1 tagged on 06 August 2017
>  - merge-base HEAD stable/2.20: 0712559601, committed 08 August 2017
> and merged into stable/2.20 on 16 August 2017
>  -
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-08/msg00068.html
>  on 16 August 2017
>  - release/2.19.80-1 tagged on 16 October 2017
>
> This looks like the release candidates (coinciding with the big bump)
> have (or should have been) released from the stable/ branches?

Yes.

> That said, I'm not opposed to doing a pre-release candidate from
> master and git history tells little about possible freezes.

The freezes mostly consisted in telling people to _please_ stop making
life harder for the stable release manager, with moderate success.
However, as release stoppers were accumulating and the release process
got stuck up, the "don't do development" appeals stopped making a whole
lot of sense.

> Just trying to understand what might have worked in the past...

I sure wished I had been able to get an understanding about what might
have worked...

--
David Kastrup