Re: branching stable/2.22?

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: branching stable/2.22?
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 15:12:57 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 25.08.2020, 14:43 +0200 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:

> > > At the same time, you're saying that branching is not going to happen
> > > next week. Please elaborate on your mind: when should that happen?
> >
> > After below points have happened and after gathering agreement that
> > there are no open blockers to branching. IMO that would be something
> > fundamentally broken which can be expected to hit every user. AFAICT
> > that's not the case. Other problems can be addressed by picking fixes
> > into the branch.
>
> That can happen in a week, can't it?

It could, but discussion takes time. Only because I don't see open
blockers doesn't mean it's true and others agree right away, as
evidenced here.

> I can't follow your mind anymore. You previously agreed with David that the
> code base was in too much of a destabilized state for branching soon.

I said "in the next week" (note the singular form) which is basically
proven by this discussion. "soon" for me would be anything within the
next month.

> We're talking about bugs that we don't yet know but could pop up in the
> months to come given this state.
>
> > (It probably makes sense to branch right after making some future
> > unstable release, which implies that GUB is mostly happy, but that's
> > some minor detail I would say.)

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > We're having, in fact, similar views. You say that we need to stabilize
> > > the code base through branching, which I  entirely agree with -- except
> > > that right now is not the right time.
> >
> > So what objective function would you use to set an agreeable date? Just
> > time,
>
> Yes, that is basically the idea. I think schedules help people work together
> even if later deviated from.
>
> > January 2021 being a shot in the dark?
>
> Do speak up about what you would consider a more reasonable time.

I know I'll regret it because I still don't know what objective
criteria others have, but as you really insist on a statement:
in the week of 14th of September (this year, 2020, just to be clear)
or put differently: right after 2.21.7, from that very tag
As said before, I wouldn't make any commitment on the date of the final
release.

Now go off tearing me apart.

Jonas