Re: GSoC 2020 update: July 25

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: GSoC 2020 update: July 25
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 15:35:29 -0400

Hi Owen,

>> Well, of all the new things I'm experiencing in this job, I'm starting to
>> experience burnout.

As someone who experienced almost-complete (i.e., Stage 11 of 12) burnout
syndrome in 2016, I want to bring your attention to this
(https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/the-12-stages-of-burnout-according-to-psychologist.html),
 which I wish I knew at least forty years before I finally burned out.

For me, the most important takeaway was that the first stage of burnout
syndrome is "The compulsion to prove oneself".
It doesn’t *lead* to the first stage of burnout syndrome — it *IS* the first
stage.

Just finding that out (albeit, at 46, far later in life than I wish I had) has
made a huge positive difference in my life and work.

I am — indeed, I think we all are — very impressed with your work, your work
ethic, and your communication on this project.
You should be justifiably proud of those things!

But also remember: You are enough.  =)

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)