Re: info files no longer built with `make all`

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: info files no longer built with `make all`
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2020 21:38:17 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwenn@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 5:30 AM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:
>

>> After the big #84 change (i.e., commit 82d72b747) I now see that
>> `.info` files are no longer built if I say `make all` – note I'm
>> talking about `.info` files without images.
>>
>> Is this intentional?  If yes, please revert this decision.  Otherwise,
>> please fix it
>>

> Not intentional, see
> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/306
>
> May I ask what you use the image-less info files for? Supporting them is
> one of the warts in the doc build, and I suspect they cater to a just small
> minority of our users.

For one thing, they are good for basic fast testing of the Texinfo
files' basic integrity (which includes some doc strings of music
functions).

For another, if you view the LilyPond Info pages with images in Yelp or
whatever pseudo-Info reader may exist, it dies a flaming death (or
rather, it crawls to a halt) because it does not scale to ten thousands
of images.  So if you use one of those crutches that only thinks it
supports images, the LilyPond Info pages with images will make them
unusable.

I'm not saying that those two reasons should be enough, just mention
them for consideration.  I find the former more useful than the latter,
but then I do use Emacs as Info reader.

--
David Kastrup