Re: GitLab permissions

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: GitLab permissions
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 16:40:46 +0200

On 5/24/20, Jean Abou Samra <address@hidden> wrote:
> Since I'm trying to work on MusicXML, it would be nice if I could add
> the corresponding label to the appropriate issues, and perhaps
> self-assign a few of them. Also, there are some old issues that look
> fixed but are still open, so I'd like to close those.

I very much agree with the first sentence (I merged the musicxml,
musicxml2ly and XML labels last week); careful about the second one,
since our usual process so far (see CG 8.2.2) was that an issue could
be closed iff:
- it was considered Invalid, Abandoned or Fixed
- that assessment was "verified" by a third party from the bug squad
(and in case of Fixed, reproduced with the latest publicly-available
GUB release).
- in case of a new feature, duly documented in NR and changes.tely
- in case of a syntax modification, with a convert-ly rule or at least
a NOT_SMART
- in case of a regression or an enhancement, a regtest had been added.

Nowadays, part of that process is handled at the MR stage but other
parts have been in limbo because of the recent disruption to our
bi-weekly release cycle.  Furthermore, GitLab has features that may
bring us to consider changing some of our policies.  That’s sort-of
being discussed right now, so by all means do help us triaging issues
but tread carefully.

> As to the level of permissions, there should likely be a policy for what
> to grant to new contributors, but as far as I am concerned , I'd only
> need Reporter (at least, that's what I think after reading
> https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/permissions.html).

I think you absolutely should be added as a project member, and my
vote would be for you to get a Developer status. (I can attest that
although you’re a relative newcomer on -devel, you’ve been a valuable
contributor on -user-fr since 2018.)

Cheers,
-- V.