Re: packaging lilypond as a docker container?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: packaging lilypond as a docker container?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 11:52:57 +0100

Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Dienstag, den 21.01.2020, 11:28 +0100 schrieb David Kastrup:
>>
>> Windows really is the elephant in the room.  MacOSX will cater with
>> native port systems like MacPorts etc and other UNIX-like systems
>> also have working packagers and package systems.
>
> So if I provided a working script to build a zip file for Windows,
> would you be ok with switching away from GUB?

We'd want an actual installer.  That's what the average user can work
with.  Alternatively, get the Frescobaldi people to take over
installation from a zip file and make Frescobaldi our "installer" (and
ask them to make the result useable also without Frescobaldi).  That
introduces a dependency I personally would consider a nuisance, but the
installer is intended for people with little comfort navigating command
lines and picking installation places and options, and most will end up
using Frescobaldi anyway.

> In that case I just noticed that I missed one character in my message:
>> I'm not going to tackle this until we've switched to Python *3*:
>> Then we can just use the embeddable zip file provided by the Python
>> project without bothering with cross-compilation for this beast.
>> Everything else (Guile etc.) worked without problems in my early tests.

If it ends up as "just install Python according to instructions", it's
sort of a real obstacle compared to an all-in-one installer.

--
David Kastrup