Re: github mirror of lilypond?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: github mirror of lilypond?
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 23:32:22 +0100

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 8:41 AM Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I agree.  IMHO, the main repository should stay at Savannah, though.
>
> I strongly disagree with this.
>
> If we are serious about code review (and it seems that we are), the
> code review has to be integrated with the git hosting system. With the
> current setup, there needs to be infrastructure that takes a patch for
> review, applies it to source tree, runs tests, and then reports back.
> On submission, something has to apply the patch, and push the result
> to the git master branch.

And come to think of it, it is also the reason for an incredible
oddity in our current process which is the "countdown". Normally, once
a change has been reviewed as OK and passed CI, it is just submitted.
But in the past, they would enter some limbo (because nobody would do
the work to submit them), and so we had to institute a countdown
process, which means that it takes a minimum of 2 days before a
contributor can see their patch go live.