Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4316 in lilypond: DynamicLineSpanner.outside-s

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4316 in lilypond: DynamicLineSpanner.outside-staff-priority = ##f fails since 2.19.14
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 23:16:45 +0000

Comment #2 on issue 4316 by address@hidden: DynamicLineSpanner.outside-staff-priority = ##f fails since 2.19.14

OK. At least that makes it easy to circumvent, as I use a music function anyway. (Edit: No, it doesn’t, since in many situations different values are required.) Thanks for investigating. I think that this is even apt to clarify the relationship between DynamicLineSpanner and DynamicText, which I always found somewhat difficult to grasp. If it’s well documented, this is an improvement. Consider

{
   \set Staff.instrumentName = #(lilypond-version)
   \dynamicUp
   \override DynamicLineSpanner.outside-staff-priority = ##f
   c'1-\tweak DynamicLineSpanner.Y-offset 4 \> c'4-\tweak Y-offset -2 \f
 }

(output attached)
Now, any tweak to DynamicText.Y-offset will be interpreted _relative_ to DynamicLineSpanner’s vertical position. Tweaking DynamicLineSpanner before \f will not have any effect, since the DynamicLineSpanner is continued from before. But tweaking DynamicLineSpanner before it begins has the desired effect. This certainly means having to reconsider routines, at least in my case, and it will cause a heck of work to update files which use these tweaks on a regular basis. From this point of view, backward compatibility would still be much desirable (what about "\override DynamicText.absolute-Y-positioning = ##t", false by default, for example?), but I find the new solution much cleaner and less confusing.

Attachments:
        play-with-dyn-tweak.pdf  17.7 KB