Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3860 in lilypond: Improve spacing of \fill-lin

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3860 in lilypond: Improve spacing of \fill-line - user word length not just distribute along centers of objects
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 02:01:58 +0000

Comment #5 on issue 3860 by address@hidden: Improve spacing of \fill-line - user word length not just distribute along centers of objects

Please add "collision detection" to the "ordinary" \fill-line, that would be very nice :)

I think that this would warrant a new issue--for documentation, but not for correction. Collisions arise with \fill-line because of a misuse of the command: trying to stuff more into the line than can be accommodated. To "fix" the problem, the only option would be to lengthen the line, and there you will probably spill off the side of the page with the default line length. I think perhaps that a warning should be put into the docs about overstuffing lines.

In fact, I wonder if the correction I added shouldn't be removed for the above reason.

Btw, i have just realized that what your function does is very similar to what \justify does - there may be a possibility for further code reuse

Nice idea, but I don't see how this can work since \justify will create multiple lines when spacing gets tight. Really, though, I'm just adding a few lines :)

As for the names, i know it's hard - maybe just make a poll on -user. My suggestion is \fill-line-evenly, but it's not very accurate.

Isn't there some typesetting term that covers this situation, a verb? A LaTex command? If there is, that's what it would be.

Naming is the primary reason why something like
\markup \override #'(constant-space . ##t) \fill-line { ... }
makes a lot of sense to me.

But I'm happy to put a patch up with a separate patch named anything you like, and let the fighting begin...

What about \fill-line-even-space? Can't imagine how you'd describe what the command does accurately with fewer characters, unless, as I say, there's some verb out there.