Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 461 in lilypond: LilyPond should accept a tie

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 461 in lilypond: LilyPond should accept a tie between notes which are enharmonically identical
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 08:30:52 +0000

Comment #11 on issue 461 by address@hidden: LilyPond should accept a tie between notes which are enharmonically identical

Please do something about this issue. This is really annoying. I think that most people who would use this feature don't really care about the midi output. Using slurs is definitely not a solution.

You could create a condition in the background, so when an enharmonic tie would appear, then in the midi it would remain the original pitch.

the user would type: cis1~ | des
the midi would play: cis1~ | cis

Or just make an exception for keyboard instruments for such cases. I suppose that for keyboard instruments the midi plays the same for both cases:

case 1: cis4 dis fis gis
case 2: des4 es ges as

If yes, then there is no issue with the above mentioned; if no, then you have to fix that, because it does not reflect the real output. You could ask: who cares? Exactly. And who cares if the midi plays the original pitch instead of the enharmonic pitch? Most people won't observe it.

Maybe some people don't want to see such a feature by default, that is ok by me, but why don't you give an \override option for the others? Or implement a new mark for enharmonic ties?