Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3761 in lilypond: LeftEdge no longer takes up

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3761 in lilypond: LeftEdge no longer takes up space
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 08:10:46 +0000

Comment #8 on issue 3761 by address@hidden: LeftEdge no longer takes up space

Sorry to chime in late.

I am wary of giving extents to unseen unless they are implementing the axis group interface (like note columns) or are stubs (like SpanBarStub). Furthermore, the extent '(0 . 0) is arbitrary and things could slide over or under that depending on where they are on the page. Why not, for example, '(1 . 1)?

The solution I always use in cases like this, which I'd like to see be the norm, is the creation of "stub" grobs. Thinking of it in terms of classical engraving, stubs are objects we put on the plates to keep other objects flush but that we don't put ink on, so they leave no trace on the printed score. Stubs should take their heights from the neighboring grobs they're blocking, which is the point of the pure-from-neighbor-engraver.

This is conceptually similar to https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=910.