Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3761 in lilypond: LeftEdge no longer takes up

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3761 in lilypond: LeftEdge no longer takes up space
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 18:13:30 +0000

Comment #9 on issue 3761 by address@hidden: LeftEdge no longer takes up space

LeftEdge is a lot like Mike's "stub" objects in that it is invisible but affects spacing. SpanBarStubs were introduced with issue 1846, which fixed the issue 910 Mike mentions but caused some frustration
(https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=1&q=%221846%22)

The invisible LeftEdge object is placed above the System at its left edge. Raising its Y-extent to '(1 . 1) makes no difference because it just moves back down until its extent rests on the box around the System. LeftEdge seems to keep out of the way of everything else, but invisible things there have caused frustration in the past. (https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2013-05/msg00009.html)

It would be good if we could suggest a simpler more robust way (certainly not one involving the Pure_from_neighbor_engraver) to get the effect desired in the original bug-report.

Maybe we should simply say "use the workaround" if we don't want LeftEdge to take up space by default.