Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3026 in lilypond: staff-padding should measure

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3026 in lilypond: staff-padding should measure to the alignment-points
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:43:08 +0000

Comment #12 on issue 3026 by address@hidden: staff-padding should measure to the alignment-points

That's a point.  The different classes of text
  TextScript
  CombineTextScript
  etc.
have different defaults, such as CombineTextScript is bold, and has independent staff-padding. In my proposed patch I increased the staff-padding to the TextScripts so that "apart" would sit at the same height as "chord" if there were no notes in the way, but saw no benefit to bring the visually-different bold "a2" in line with the normal-weight text. We could align them.

It is hard to pick a good default 'staff-padding with text, because a reasonable 'staff-padding to the baseline above the staff is closer than a reasonable distance below the staff. We could redefine the baseline of text to be at the center height of the 'x' in the font, so that 'staff-padding works symmetrically. If applied to Lyrics, it would simplify centering Lyrics between staves. (Different adjustments would be needed for other things that go in a TextScript: \fermataMarkup, \woodwind-diagrams, \fret-boards, etc.)

I suspect it wisest to remove the default 'staff-padding from TextScript (its current broken implementation makes it no different from 'padding) and let users apply it when they have a special case where it is useful.

Dynamics text, by contrast, has a baseline near its vertical center, so 'staff-padding will be very useful for the DynamicLineSpanner, when it works as documented.