Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3026 in lilypond: staff-padding should measure

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3026 in lilypond: staff-padding should measure to the alignment-points
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:21:49 +0000

Comment #16 on issue 3026 by address@hidden: staff-padding should measure to the alignment-points

Comment #15

Just to be clear, this seems to be not _at_all_ a regression; we never found evidence that this worked as advertised.

The code fix is a "5-minute dead-obvious thing", actually, removing a blunder to make the code do what code comments say was intended. The broken 'staff-padding implementation is redundant with 'padding and very rarely has had effect.

My earlier patch was intended to see if people found it useful as an effective default on TextScripts (which would require followup because so many special-case markups live in TextScripts) but it seems not to be.

The workaround in the manual Notation Reference 1.3.1 works just as staff-padding was intended,
   \override TextScript.Y-extent = #'(-1.5 . 1.5)
   c2^\markup { \huge gorgeous } c^\markup { \huge fantastic }
because extents now have effect only in a few circumstances, one of them being spacing to the bare staff.