Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1698 in lilypond: Slurs and ties are not corre

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1698 in lilypond: Slurs and ties are not correct over repeats
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:20:30 +0000

Comment #38 on issue 1698 by address@hidden: Slurs and ties are not correct over repeats

I'd be interested in what others have to say.

In this patch, there are three new commands introduced to LilyPond:

\startBrokenSlur
\stopBrokenSlur
\breakSlurHere

David's suggestion was to do:

(\broken a b c ) d

instead of

\startBrokenSlur a b c ) d

I prefer the latter rather than the former because, as slur is a post event, it would be very difficult (perhaps impossible) to get LilyPond to understand what starting a piece on a slur means. The commands \startBrokenSlur and \stopBrokenSlur apply to non-musical-paper-columns, making them distinct from slurs represented by parentheses (post events). I don't think it is a bad UI, nor is it unprecedented. \breakDynamicSpan has a similar logic to it and I do not recall users having an issue with this. In fact, the whole (re)design of this patch comes from Neil's suggestion to bring it more in line with \breakDynamicSpan, which I think is a good one.