Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2783 in lilypond: wrong placement of timesigna

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2783 in lilypond: wrong placement of timesignature
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 19:50:06 +0000

Comment #32 on issue 2783 by address@hidden: wrong placement of timesignature

Confirming that commit d10ec4f5a95d5 before 2.15.13 caused Lilypond to count 'line-positions and use that count instead of 'line-count if 'line-positions is defined. This moved the time signature in ČÁRY off-center.

So if we revert 0b5d0acd, the example at the start of this issue has its time-signature raised to position-one, so the 3 in 3/4 pokes over the top line. (Please post an image if you can confirm.) I think everyone would consider this even worse.

It would not be too hard to reverse the re-definition of Staff_symbol::line_count() from d10ec4f5a95d5 and continue to have the patch work the same, internal ledger-lines for issue 1193, but I am not recommending we do so.

LilyPond does print the time signature, when using \tabFullNotation, off-center on guitar tab so that it is centered on a line. All the other sources of tablature I have or can find (not much) put time signatures in the center regardless of lines.

So putting time signature at position zero, or center, regardless of line-count might be the most helpful thing to do.

Pál, your examples all seem to work more simply with time-signature at zero, at least as a starting point. I see in your patch how centering solved inconsistencies introduced by d10ec4f5a95d5, while being consistent LilyPond's unusual placement for even line-count. Centering on zero would be less confusing for anybody else who has been using 'line-positions #(-4 -2 0 2)