Re: FYI: duplicate removal patch [Was Re: ok, new libtool forcygwinupda

From: Stephan Kulow
Subject: Re: FYI: duplicate removal patch [Was Re: ok, new libtool forcygwinupdates]
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:06:46 +0200

Michael Matz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, edward wrote:
>
> > how about a sub-optimal (but at least an) improvement?
> >
> > something along the lines of
> ... loop to remove consecutive duplicates.
> >
> > This cuts down on all the extraneous stuff *safely*, i think.
>
> Yep, This is the best duplicate removal for archives which can be done
> safely.  Unfortunately it doesn't really work to _really_ reduce command
> line length by much.  E.g. in former times on KDE we had lines like this:
> "-la -la -lb -la -lb -la -lb" ad infinitum (nearly ;) )  The loop above
> would only remove the second -la, although all libs were shared.  I'm not
> against this thing, just wanted to say, that it's application would not be
> the full solution.

I would like to add that all KDE libraries are labeled with
-no-undefined, so
there should be no guessing involved. So if you see a -lb you can be
sure
all references to it are resolved if you put the given LIBADDs of liba
behind
it. Perhaps this -no-undefined should be part of the .la file?

Greetings, Stephan

--
People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.