Re: FYI: duplicate removal patch [Was Re: ok, new libtool for cygwinupda

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: FYI: duplicate removal patch [Was Re: ok, new libtool for cygwinupdates]
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 22:56:58 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, edward wrote:

> how about a sub-optimal (but at least an) improvement?
>
> something along the lines of
... loop to remove consecutive duplicates.

> This cuts down on all the extraneous stuff *safely*, i think.

Yep, This is the best duplicate removal for archives which can be done
safely.  Unfortunately it doesn't really work to _really_ reduce command
line length by much.  E.g. in former times on KDE we had lines like this:
"-la -la -lb -la -lb -la -lb" ad infinitum (nearly ;) )  The loop above
would only remove the second -la, although all libs were shared.  I'm not
against this thing, just wanted to say, that it's application would not be
the full solution.

Ciao,
Michael.