libreplanet-us-ma

[LibrePlanet-US-MA] 4-YEAR PLAN ideas for LibrePlanet/Students for Free

From: Danny Piccirillo
Subject: [LibrePlanet-US-MA] 4-YEAR PLAN ideas for LibrePlanet/Students for Free Culture @Hampshire College
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:53:21 -0500

Hello!

Reporting in from Hampshire College's LibrePlanet/Students for Free Culture Chapter, we're just getting our team off the ground and after a couple of meetings there's been lots of ideas and excitement (check out some pictures from student group signup day here).

We made a huge list of ideas (pasted below) and started talking about who we needed to get in contact with and other things needed to make them happen. What we realized is that lots of short term efforts even over a span of years may not add up to a cohesive and forward-thinking plan.

IDEA: DRAFT A FOUR-YEAR PLAN!

We're going to imagine what Hampshire College would look like as an ideal free software and free culture friendly school. We want to consider what would normally be considered impossible to accomplish. Our first compilation of ideas will probably happen on Tuesday. Form there, we'll combine similar ideas, rank them based on difficulty, and see what steps would have to happen before the change would be accepted. Ideas like requiring free and open formats for all assignments,  using free licenses for all copyrights owned by the school, and making as much data as possible open.

What ideas do you have?

Is this a thing that more groups could organize?

Here was our initial list of "thinking small and short term" ideas, so we want bigger changes than this!

  • Workshops
  • Free Culture 101
  • Licensing (creating and finding)
  • How to liberate your creations (software, license, and format)
  • Brainstorm a list of FAQs
  • Find other groups and get in contact
  • Showcasing and installing and using GNU/Linux and other free software
  • Maintaining privacy online (Digital rights)
  • File sharing, because sharing is caring (explain Hydra, Hampshire's direct connect server)
  • Python Women 101
  • Contributing to Wikipedia and Hampedia
  • Lectureleaks / NotesHub
  • Hardware w/ free drivers
  • Hackerspaces + makerbots (hack vs crack)
  • Teach an EPEC course on free software and free culture (Hampshire's program for student-run courses)
  • Things to make (have information that will be taught in workshops on multiple mediums):
  • Website! Important as a resource we can refer people to
  • Propaganda and how-to flyers
  • Video series
  • Events
  • Document Freedom Day
  • Software Freedom Day
  • Open Access Week
  • Free Culture Gaming
  • Anti-Piracy Day (Download Disobedience Day)
  • Free Book Day
  • Speakers
  • Benjamin Mako Hill
  • RMS
  • Lessig
  • Bassam
  • Things for Hampshire
  • Require open document standard  / LibreOffice
  • GNU/Linux and other free software on school computers
  • Recommendations of free software to students
  • On ther website
  • Email to incoming students
  • Video record events under free licenses
  • Advising student projects on licensing
  • List free culture independent study ideas
  • Host SFC Conference?
  • Host free network services for all Hampshire students
  • Jappix/Movim
  • StatusNet
  • Diaspora
  • Piratepad
  • Reddit
  • Shapado
  • GNU Media Goblin
  • Make "Free culture" the summe reading for next class of incoming students
  • Student Group Collaborations
  • Current issues and Legislation
  • ACTA
  • Internet Blacklist Legislation
  • PROTECT-IP
  • SOPA
  • Organizations we like
  • Free Software Foundation
  • Students for Free Culture
  • Electronic Frontier Foundation
  • Public Knowledge
  • Question Copyright
  • Open Knowledge Foundation
  • Particapatory Culture Foundation
  • Wikimedia Foundation
  • Internet Archive
  • Downhill Battle (dead?)
  • Demand Progress
  • Fight for the Future
  • Creative Commons
  • Film screenings
  • Revolution OS
  • The Code
  • Patent Absurdity
  • Alternative Freedom
  • Net Neutrality
  • A Fair(y) Use Tale
  • RIP: A Remix Manifesto
  • Good Copy Bad Copy
  • Steal this Film, [9] Part II and [10] Part I
  • This Film is Not Yet rated
  • Before the music dies
  • Illegal Art
  • Sonic Outlaws