libreplanet-us-ma

Re: [LibrePlanet-US-MA] Lets start something! Introductions and plannin

From: Ben Schwalb
Subject: Re: [LibrePlanet-US-MA] Lets start something! Introductions and planning
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:10:04 -0400

Hey guys,
My name's Ben Schwalb and I'm studying at Tufts. I actually will be abroad next year, so I won't be able to do much in person after the summer, but I have to say I really like the idea of reaching out to schools!

I think one thing that's important to emphasize when dealing with schools is how much development is being done in a FLOSS environment anyway. Clearly man of these initiatives to bring computers into schools focus on the fact that computing is a practical skill. I think we should make clear that being familiar with a GNU/Linux environment is practical at this point. I have a software dev internship this summer and I know I was surprised to see that half of the computers ran Windows.

I think it would be advantageous (though I don't quite know how, so I'm welcome to suggestions) to compile a list of all the companies that the average person has heard of (or at least make a well-known product) that use free and/or open-source software. Essentially, I'd like to send the message that schoolchildren are more likely to work at these "impressive" companies if they are familiar with GNU/Linux.  I don't know if this would also be helpful, but a similar list could be compiled for colleges (and the numbers would probably be much more in our favor).

Also, it might be worth bringing up that Mac is essentially a BSD variant, so being familiar with a Linux distro (or BSD) would make one a better Mac user as well.  I know this kind of stuff isn't ideologically very nice, but it could help.