libreplanet-us-ma

Re: [LibrePlanet-US-MA] Lets start something! Introductions and plannin

From: Danny Piccirillo
Subject: Re: [LibrePlanet-US-MA] Lets start something! Introductions and planning
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 01:02:39 -0400

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:38, Wesley Hirsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> First off, introduction:
>
> I'm Wesley, known as Shishire on irc.
> I've been an computer guy all my life, and an open source fan as soon as I
> found out such a thing existed.
> I tried a similar tactic with my high school, but was blocked by what for
> lack of a better word would be a M$ fanboy of an IT director.
> Don't get me wrong, I liked the guy as a person, but he also decided that
> what the school needed was to upgrade every computer to Vista the instant it
> was released.  Suffice it to say that didn't go so well.

Thanks for joining us! The tech teacher at my high school was
similarly a MS fanboy and seemed to be under the impression that free
software was like a wiki and anybody could just trash it. Luckily he
wasn't the IT director of the public schools, but the woman who is
takes advice from someone similar. Either way, they can be dealt with,
they just haven't had to deal with anybody more competent yet =]

> Second off, I'm available to help with a project like this.  Something like
> this excites me.
> I'm willing to be an in-person representative, as well as a technical
> contact and support person.  I'm a web developer who does everything from
> programming, to configuration, to system building.  Most of my current
> knowledge is about Ubuntu, but I'm familiar with a number of systems, and am
> willing to learn more as necessary.

Awesome! I should be learning from you-- i've been using Ubuntu for
years but have never taken my skills, if you can call knowing how to
use google "skills", to the next level.

> I've managed to convince a number of people to switch to open source
> systems, but more importantly to open source ideals.  I'd love to see it be
> widely embraced in a system which really can't afford to spend superfluous
> amounts of money on software licenses, like our public schools.  I think the
> first step is to get them interested, and get ourselves known as people who
> can bring about such a change.  Secondly, getting some open-source software
> on their current systems, so that they have a good reference point before
> they switch ( to ubuntu? something else? ).  I'd suggest openoffice,
> firefox, gimp, inkscape, audacity, and vlc, as a start.  Thirdly, if we're
> going to do this a serious venture, we may need to build an actual support
> "company" so that schools/corporations can contract out support to us
> officially (plus, it looks better on paper to the superintendent and such if
> it's a company doing it, not some random people the tech guy knows).
> Lastly, we can go about, probably over a summer, and convert all the
> computers to whichever open source system we're offering them.

Sounds like you say open source although you are concerned with
freedom. It may make sense to say open source to prospective schools,
perhaps until they're broken in, but on here you can say what you
mean, and use the term free software =]

Anyways, i absolutely agree. We should make a list of the tools
schools use (desktop OS, schedule and grade manager, office suite,
photoshop, autoCAD, etc), a list of alternatives, and a list of which
things schools will be most receptive to parting with first (web
browser, if they're not already using firefox or chrome, openoffice,
etc). Also, a list of people who are able to help with the transition
and any additional special skills that might be needed

As for starting a company, the local Ubuntu group i believe has been
discussing that, although i haven't followed closely so i'm not
actually positive. We should discuss this more because i'm not sure
how sustainable a company would be, but if one is being established,
i'm sure they would be willing to back us up.

> We'd want something like this highly publicized.  The more we can spread the
> word about it, the better.  It does us no good to just convert one system
> and leave it at that, we need to have a greater effect.  In 5 years time,
> I'd be thrilled to see 50% of the public school systems in the greater
> boston area using open-source operating systems.  You know the corny saying
> they always use at graduations about the seniors being handed the keys to
> the world, and that they're the ones who will make a difference in it?  In
> some ways, it's true.  If we can get a large number of high school students
> aware of the existence/awesomeness of freedom, it will change the way they
> think about such things in the future.  We currently live in a culture where
> people are starting to get antsy about being locked into systems.  Lets show
> them freedom.

Absolutely. We'll have to start organizing on the wiki and make an
announcement. We should have a team meeting first though, perhaps
publicize an announcement about that. What should we name this
project? Education-conversion task force is a bit of a mouthful