libreplanet-discuss

Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(

From: Matt Ivie
Subject: Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 14:15:18 -0600

On Thu, 2020-10-01 at 11:05 +0200, Marinus Savoritias wrote:
> Depends how you look at it. Being able to use GPL for purposes of
> war
> gives freedom to the privileged people who do the war. But what
> about
> the people who are actually being attacked? Do they have Freedom
> with
> your license? Shouldn't we at least try to protect these people from
> being attacked?
>
> Or are we too far into our own privilege that we don't care that our
> software can be used to hurt others?
>
> That doesn't sound free to me. That sounds like whatever benefits us
> more without caring about others.

It is beyond the scope of the concepts of Free Software to deal with
externalities such as war or other social factors that do not deal with
respecting software freedom.

Beyond that, should someone wage war and utilize software licensed
under a Free Software license, who is going to enforce the license? If
a license like this worked to curb war we could just attache a license
to all weapons sold or all boots sold.

Matt Ivie
--
"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family."
        --Bruce Lee