libreplanet-discuss

Re: Free licensing of surveillance software

From: Roberto Beltran
Subject: Re: Free licensing of surveillance software
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 18:48:38 +0000

> I put a camera inside my house so that I can see who is in the house when my
> family is not home. Kim robs the house, and the camera records him robbing
> the house. Is there a software license that gives Kim the right to obtain the
> source code to the camera software?

Okay I think I understand better now. If such a license were to exist I argue
it would be proprietary for violating freedom 0 because, as Aaron Wolf aptly
puts "the goal is to just limit the software anyone can use as part of
surveillance software".

Also quoting the free software definition: "The freedom to run the program
means the freedom for any kind of person or organization to use it on any kind
of computer system, for any kind of overall job and purpose, without being
required to communicate about it with the developer or any other specific
entity." I think a victim of surveillance would count as another specific entity

The software is being used ON the surveilled. The surveilled are not users of
the software. A surveilled person deserves agency over the surveillance
software no more than one would deserve agency over their mechanic's tools or
the software their accountant uses. To reduce this into further absurdity, if I
use the surveillance software to watch over a plant, does the plant deserve the
four freedoms?

Mass surveillance is a important issue to tackle, but I think it would be
unwise to sacrifice software freedom to tackle it and legitimize a proprietary
license for this purpose. This especially since it doesn't even really solve
the problem.

I agree with Aaron that getting laws on the books may be the best way to fight
mass surveillance.

Kind Regards,
Roberto Beltran
https://libremiami.org/