libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Netfile Application Thoughts

From: Greg Knittl
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Netfile Application Thoughts
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 18:45:18 -0400

Hi Stephen,

Software Developers’ Certification Guide p6 "Transmitting from a Developer's Server may be relevant especially:

C. The shared secrets data cannot be given to the vendor under any circumstances, since this will constitute a third-party relationship and, as such, a Form T183, Information Return for Electronic Filing of an Individual's Income Tax and Benefit Return, would need to be completed by the taxpayer and kept by the vendor.

Unfortunately, I don't understand what it means, especially "vendor"

However, as Bob says and CRA makes abundantly clear, for better or worse the CRA wants to certify the tax software logic, not just the netfile mechanics. By the time we have a certified tax calculation engine, it should be relatively straight forward to create Linux and Webservice versions of it. I think you are saying the Web Service might be a way to respect the 4 freedoms and keep the CRA credentials secret. That could be very useful, but I would prefer to hold that thought until we have a better understanding of everything the CRA want's us to keep secret. Another reason to get the NDA.

Greg