Re: assign keyword

From: Paolo Redælli
Subject: Re: assign keyword
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 08:40:46 +0200

Il 05/07/22 22:46, Louis M via ha scritto:
Hi,

Personally, I think that we should go ECMA compliant. I know that historically, Small/Liberty Eiffel did not necessarily want to follow the ECMA standard, but I think that we will all win by not having too much difference between Eiffel syntaxes.

I'm glad we all agree. In fact while I still think that current Liberty implementation

x: BAR; set_x (a_bar: like x) assign x

sounds more like a natural language, also the ECMA way

x: BAR assign set_x; set_x (a_bar: like x)

has its reasons. The most important is that putting the assign on the query can be easier to find and understand to the end user of a class.

So let's go the ECMA way and schedule it for dennis.

I was tempted to propose a both-way alternative but it won't give us any actual, sound benefit.