Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Bug #44601

From: Raphael Mack
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Bug #44601
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 20:58:49 +0200

Hi,

for the install.sh and tools.sh your patch looks good (even thought I
did not yet try, but maybe we can do it after you have a publicly
accessible git repo.)

One change, that comes to my mind: we meanwhile removed the -fno-gcse
option meanwhile also for Linux systems. There once was a strange bug
which required us to use this option with gcc and we never found out
what the real problem was (and if it was in LibertyEiffel or in gcc ;-)
but as it now works without we don't need it anymore.

For the germ your patch is not so easy, because the germ code is
generated by make_germ.sh - which does nothing but a normal
"compile_to_c". So it generates the c-compilation options from the
machine on which it is executed.
To make the bootstrap system-independent we might think of changing
install.sh to not use the .make file in germ, but just compile and link
all C files in that directory - with the same options from tools.sh...

What do you think?

About the other bugs you see I comment inline...

Am Mittwoch, den 15.06.2016, 23:28 -0400 schrieb Mehul Sanghvi:

>      - Add support for *BSD systems

This is a bit generic. Without someone having such a system it is hard
and to be honest not so useful. If you have more concrete ideas, what is
necessary, go on file a task (it's not a bug)

>      - Add clang support

We should think of a complete restructuring of the platform/compiler
integration into Liberty. I think it would be best to end with a
solution, that doesn't need the Eiffel compiler to know anything about
the OS, the flavor and the c-compiler type at all, but everything is
just coming from the config file and some C/H resources in
sys/runtime...

>      - Rebrand from SmartEiffel to LibertyEiffel
At the beginning the idea was to do a full reimplementation of the
eiffel compiler and using smarteiffel just as transitional bootstrapper,
but it turned out, that this is just too much, so we kept the old
compiler, with the old name.

I personally don't care about the name and I can live with Smart or
Liberty.

>      - Remove support for older compilers
>      - Remove support for systems that are not being used.

This is already ongoing. Thanks, Hans!

>     - Get BDWGC support to work on OSX.  Currently it says that the GC
> is old or missing.  Also occurs on Debian/PPC.

I think we cannot change Liberty to work with an older version, so you
should think of getting a newer libgc version to those systems (should
be possible to install from source if not packaged by the distro)

>  What sort of testing can I do to ensure that what I have built is
> working correctly ? How do I run the tests in the test directory ?

How to run the tests you have already figured out, but to be honest I
think if the bootstrapping works (with a stable compiler) and all the
tools run, you are already in a good state and I wouldn't go for more
but just start using the baby...

Cheers,
Rapha