Re: [Liberty-eiffel] [libertyeiffel] VARIANT and G_VALUE

From: Cyril ADRIAN
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] [libertyeiffel] VARIANT and G_VALUE
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 12:43:38 +0200

Hi Paolo,

This needs some thought, and deserves a detailed answer; and I have a bit of research to do since I don't really know the gobject architecture.

So I will not answer right now :-)

Cheers,

2013/8/5 Paolo Redaelli <address@hidden>
I liked Cyril idea on VARIANT and TYPED_VARIANT and I'm implementing it into database wrappers.
Then I read gobject's G_VALUE discovering that GObject's variant would not fit in that design, as they have just one "polymorphic" class offering all kind of creation clauses.
Of course the untyped parent/typed heirs fits better in a proper OO design as it's naturally extensible.
Do you think it would be necessary to add several TYPED_VARIANT heirs to G_VALUE, such as G_STRING_VALUE (...) which are heirs of both TYPED_VARIANT[STRING], G_VALUE ?