koha-zebra

Re: [Koha-zebra] Incomplete CQL Support in Net-Z3950-ZOOM

From: Mike Taylor
Subject: Re: [Koha-zebra] Incomplete CQL Support in Net-Z3950-ZOOM
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:59:50 GMT

> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:38:14 -0500
> From: Sebastian Hammer <address@hidden>
>
>>>applause
>>>
>>>(you may take a bow)
>>
>> Thank you, thank you!  You've been a great audience!  Thanks for
>> coming, and have a very happy Christmas!
>
> Thomas has clearly discovered the true grease which makes the wheels
> of Open Source spin.

Yeah, and it's worked, too: I've just released version 1.01 of the
ZOOM-Perl module, which has all this good stuff:

1.01  Thu Dec 22 14:13:34 GMT 2005
        - Place some CODE: chunks in "ZOOM.xs" inside curly brackets
          so that the declarations they begin with are at the start of
          the block.  This avoid mixed code/declarations.  (The
          "correct" solution is to use INIT: clauses in the XS file,
          but they don't seem to work: the code in them is slapped
          down right next to the CODE:, so declarations are not
          acceptable there either.)
        - Add new function Net::Z3950::ZOOM::connection_scan1(), which
          uses a query object to indicate the start-term.  This opens
          the way for using CQL queries for scanning once the
          underlying ZOOM-C code supports this.
        - NOTE BACKWARDS-INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE: The ZOOM::Connection
          method scan() is renamed scan_pqf(), and a new scan() method
          is introduced which calls the underlying scan1() function.
          Thus the scan()/scan_pqf() dichotomy is consistent with that
          between search()/search_pqf().
        - The tests t/15-scan.t and t/25-scan.t now also test for
          scanning by CQL query.  To support these tests, a new files
          is added to the distribution, "samples/cql/pqf.properties"
        - Remove nonsensical clause about CQL sort-specifications from
          the documentation.
        - Add new function Net::Z3950::ZOOM::query_cql2rpn(), for
          client-side CQL compilation.
        - Add new ZOOM::Query::CQL2RPN class, encapsulating CQL
          compiler functionality as a Query subclass.
        - Add two new error-codes, CQL_PARSE and CQL_TRANSFORM,
          returned by the client-side CQL facilities.
        - The test-scripts t/12-query.t and t/22-query.t are extended
          to also test client-side CQL compilation.
        - Add all the yaz_log*() functions within the Net::Z3950::ZOOM
          namespace.
        - Add new ZOOM::Log class for logging, providing aliases for
          the functions in the Net::Z3950::ZOOM layer.
        - Add diagnostic set to rendering of Exception objects.
        - Documentation added for CQL compilation and logging.

Executive summary: CQL everywhere!

You'll have to wait a few hours or maybe a day or so for this release
to make its way through the bowels of CPAN.  But there's no rush
anyway, as it relies on facilities that I've only just added to
ZOOM-C, in the YAZ toolkit, so you'll need the next release of YAZ
(i.e. the one that's not been made yet).  Shouldn't be too long,
though.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <address@hidden>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "One world, One web, One program" -- Microsoft Adversisement.
         "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" -- Adolf Hitler.  Coincidence?