koha-translate

[Koha-translate] Re: FW: Dutch versions

From: Hans Supply
Subject: [Koha-translate] Re: FW: Dutch versions
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:25:18 +0100

Marcel,

I think you are mixing things up about the names for country, its inhabitants and their language.

Nederland, Nederlanders, Nederlands
The Netherlands, The Dutch, Dutch

België, Belgen, Nederlands
Belgium, Belgians, Dutch

Again a mixup for written and spoken language.

There is only _one_ offical written language: Nederlands (Dutch)! (Therefore there should only be _one_ translation!)
As for the spoken language, there are numerous dialects in both countries.
This is why Flemish is _not_ a language!

And this is odd about your proposed patch:

-------
(I sent a patch to Koha for showing this difference too in the about template.
Like:
·  Nederlands (Dutch) Sponsored by Rijksmuseum
·  Nederlands, Vlaams (Dutch as spoken in Belgium, Flemish)
)
--------

Stating our Belgian translation would not be accepted in your situation is almost insulting to our translators who did a really good job for this fourth version of the translation!

For all I know you may want to use NL-RM and NL.

Serious now. The patch should read:
NL-NL and NL-BE
Nederlands-Nederland and Nederlands-België

And for the record, we do subscribe to Frederics idea that it would be better to join our efforts in one translation!

Regards,