koha-translate

[Koha-translate] Re: Dutch versions

From: Frédéric DEMIANS
Subject: [Koha-translate] Re: Dutch versions
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:05:03 +0100

> At this time we have in Pootle: Dutch  [nl-BE] and Dutch (Nederland)
> [nl-NL].

> Dutch (Nederland) is a mixup of two languages.

I don't understand. Why is this translation a mixed? What are those thow
languages?

> The English form should be Dutch (The Netherlands), the translated
> form should be Nederlands (Nederland).

> We could further improve the distinction by renaming the other one,
> Dutch, to:

> Dutch (Belgium)       or natively: Nederlands (België)
>
> Additionally, we could even add Flemish [native: Vlaams] in the
> description too. Many people from Belgium appear to prefer that,
> although it may not be the official name of the language spoken in
> Belgium. In that case we could change to:

> Dutch, Flemish (Belgium)     or natively: Nederlands, Vlaams (België)

What are the differences between the two regional versions of Dutch? Is
it relevant to have two versions of 'similar' language? I just ask.
Isn't it any chance to have in Koha one unique version of Dutch
localization and gain sharing on cooperation on this translation
between translators?

> I sent a patch to Koha for showing this difference too in the about
> template.
>
> Like:
>
> ·  Nederlands (Dutch) Sponsored by Rijksmuseum
> ·  Nederlands, Vlaams (Dutch as spoken in Belgium, Flemish)

Can someone from Belgium confirm that there is a consensus on this? I
have no idea.

> Could you also take a look at that patch and signoff if you agree?

Will do if I can have some feedback from other Dutch translators.

Thanks.
--
Frédéric DEMIANS
http://www.tamil.fr/u/fdemians.html