klog-devel

Re: [Klog-devel] Load and Save

From: Jaime Robles
Subject: Re: [Klog-devel] Load and Save
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 10:02:34 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Andrew,

> Since I didn't have a contest logging program for Linux I used Klog 0.4.6
> the version I added the contest extra code to.
I think we could think about the contesting features carefully... It may
worth it as I don't know any contest software for linux that is updated
and works ok.
Do you know N1MM? A windows software with a lot of good features.

> This worked fine for a little while until I shut down Klog and tried to
> load
> the contest log I had just saved. This didn't work for some weird reason.
Strange... I am still using klog 0.4.6 for my "stable" hamradio operation.

> in. Would it be worth considering using a database to store the Klog data
> in as opposed to the QSO class? It would mean some rewriting of the code
When I started KLog I considered using a DB to save the QSOs.
The reason for discarding that option was to make KLog as much
"independant" of other software as possible and avoid all the
configurations problems for the users as possible.

Moreover, another "feature" I am thinking for next releases of KLog (it is
still in the thinking-phase) of adding MS Windows support to KLog. That
way we could get many new users among the ham radio community.
KLog would:
 1.- be available to more users.
 2.- be a way to show&promote free software and KDE to MS Windows.

> would take away the hassle of looking after what could become a big in
> memory QList of QSO's.
Today I am working flawlessly or at least without noticing load with a log
with more than 10.000QSO.
I have done testings with BIG logs (100K) and it works ok and I don't
think people works with logs so bigs! X'DDD

>It would also mean that all QSO's are automatically saved
> when they are created - this would making the saving and loading not
> needed.
Here you are right and I have to agree.
However that is the reason of creating a temp file with the log diff. I
suppose you have seen that now, KLogs creates a temp file with the QSOs
added between saves so no QSOs are lost in case of an unexpected
exit/crash.

Maybe we should rework this way of autosaving if you think it is not
working well.

Anyway, did you noticed any problem with berlios.de connection this
weekend? I tried to connect to update the SVN and I was not able to do it.
I also tried to connect to developer.berlios.de without success...

--
Un saludo,
        Jaime Robles, EA4TV

Visita: