klog-devel

[Klog-devel] Load and Save

From: Andrew Goldie
Subject: [Klog-devel] Load and Save
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 08:54:37 +1200

Hi Jaime,

Over the weekend I had some fun in the Oceania DX contest and heres what
happened!

Since I didn't have a contest logging program for Linux I used Klog 0.4.6 -
the version I added the contest extra code to.

This worked fine for a little while until I shut down Klog and tried to load
the contest log I had just saved. This didn't work for some weird reason. So I
thought "easy I'll just edit the code and recompile". Unfortunately having
upgraded to KUbuntu 9.04 which uses KDE4 the QT3 libraries weren't there - no
problem I just installed them . But I still couldn't get klog-0.4.6 to compile
- something to do with looking for KDE libraries  - probably version 3.x ones.

So to cut a long story short I quickly had to find another contest logging
program for Linux. I then stumbled across one called QLE
(http://home.kpn.nl/w.knol18/qle/qle.html - This was written by WIlbert Knol
who used to belong to our local radio club before he shifted back to The
Netherlands). After some fairly quick, although that easy, configuration I was
up and running again.

I mention this because QLE uses a SQLlite database back end to save it's data
in. Would it be worth considering using a database to store the Klog data in
as opposed to the QSO class? It would mean some rewriting of the code but it
would take away the hassle of looking after what could become a big in memory
QList of QSO's. It would also mean that all QSO's are automatically saved when
they are created - this would making the saving and loading not needed.

What do you think?

Andrew

Attention:
This email may contain information intended for the sole use of
the original recipient. Please respect this when sharing or
disclosing this email's contents with any third party. If you
believe you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify the sender or address@hidden as
soon as possible. The content of this email does not necessarily
reflect the views of Solnet Solutions Ltd.