javaweb-submit

Re: [Javaweb-submit] gnu namespace & the GNU Java packages registry

From: Ahmed Moustafa
Subject: Re: [Javaweb-submit] gnu namespace & the GNU Java packages registry
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 05:00:29 -0700

Nic wrote:

Ahmed Moustafa <address@hidden> writes:

On 2 Sep 2003, Nic wrote:

I think you should use:

  gnu.bioinformatics.jaligner

If you have a command line tool you should use just:

  jailgner

for the main class name.
Do you mean the main class should not be within a package?

That's right.

This is just advice. It's what I do with command line tools.

Regarding the main class, the Java coding convention for a class name is
to start with an upper case letter i.e. JAligner instead of jaligner. But
I can still provide like a shell script and a batch file with the name
jaligner to pass the arguments to the main class.

We don't follow the java coding conventions. We prefer to follow GNU
conventions.

If a class is designed to be called by a user, eg:

 java gnu.something

then it's better if the class name is in lower case. In all other
situations upper case should be used because it makes the class name
clear.

Sometimes people use GCJ to compile java classes to normal
executables. In this instance a lower case class name is very
desirable.

Nic

I have updated the package name to gnu.bioinformatics.jaligner and released a new version to source forge. Below is the project information:

Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jaligner
API: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jaligner
Demo: http://jaligner.sourceforge.net/jaligner.jnlp

Could you please add it the GNU Java package registry?

Thank!!!

Ahmed