jami

Re: Is JACK audio server implemented?

From: riveravaldez
Subject: Re: Is JACK audio server implemented?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 06:44:22 -0300

Thanks a lot, everybody, for your answers!

> the arch package is maintained by the proaudio team - there is an
> arch-proaudio mailing list and the #archlinux-proaudio IRC
> channel on freenode
>
> the debian package is maintained by the debian-voip team - there
> is a pkg-voip-maintainers mailing list and the #debian-voip IRC
> channel on OFTC

Thanks a lot for the links, Bill, I'll check them both.

About the PA-bridge-to-JACK I can confirm that it exists and works fine. I've
tested it both in Arch and Debian testing until now, been using it to work
(video-call classes) and the only issue seems to appear after many hours of
the bridge running, and even that could be just coincidence. But mostly it
works OK.

After installing the pertinent packages in the distro of choice (and closing any
PA-demanding audio software, just in case), you basically start JACK, and then:

$ pulseaudio --kill (so PA restarts in "bridge-mode")
$ pulseaudio --start (not always necessary)
$ pactl load-module module-jack-sink
$ pactl load-module module-jack-source

That's it. Then you have a generic I/O audio ports in JACK connections that
redirects all audio streams you connect in and out PA-only applications (e.g.,
firefox).

Only drawback seems to be some extra work imposed over the CPU, but in
modern machines it should be negligible I guess.

Hope this serves someone, and if anyone have any information about the
state of Jami's JACK implementation, please let me know.

Thanks again!