jailkit-dev

Re: [Jailkit-dev] more jk_jailuser bugs

From: Stephen Tallowitz
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-dev] more jk_jailuser bugs
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 18:23:37 +0100

Hello Oli,

> I think that all jailkit programs should work, regardless if the
> directories are used with a trailing slash or not. But can you re-try if
> the directory possibly contained files already (possible hidden files?)

The recent CVS version works fine. However, the trailing slash problem remains.
See output below. I must admit though, that the trailing slash in /etc/passwd
was generated by me, not by any tools. After testing jk_jailuser I reset the
user entry using "usermod -d /home/jailtest/ jailtest". The trailing slash, of
course, was produced by bash autocompletion. So this trailing slash problem
should remain a very rare case. /srv/jaily/home/jailtest directory is also an
empty directory, so this wasn't the cause of the problem in the first place.

No trailing slash in /etc/passwd:
-----
mulinux / # jk_jailuser -j /srv/jaily/ -v -s /bin/bash -m jailtest
adding user jailtest to /srv/jaily/etc/passwd with shell /bin/bash
adding group users to /srv/jaily/etc/group
modify user jailtest; dir /srv/jaily/./home/jailtest and shell
/usr/sbin/jk_chrootsh
moving files from /home/jailtest to /srv/jaily/./home/jailtest
-----

Trailing slash in /etc/passwd:
-----
mulinux / # jk_jailuser -j /srv/jaily/ -v -s /bin/bash -m jailtest
adding user jailtest to /srv/jaily/etc/passwd with shell /bin/bash
adding group users to /srv/jaily/etc/group
modify user jailtest; dir /srv/jaily/./home/jailtest/ and shell
/usr/sbin/jk_chrootsh
creating directory /srv/jaily/./home/jailtest
moving files from /home/jailtest/ to /srv/jaily/./home/jailtest/
FAILED TO MOVE /home/jailtest/ TO /srv/jaily/./home/jailtest/. Possibly the
target is full, or read-only, or the target directory already exists
-----

There ar two more errors I've discovered:

One, which seems to be a python error:
When the directory is moved from one filesystem to the other, all contents are
*created* at the new location before they get deleted at the old location. But
the new files and directories are created with the user under which the move is
being made. So as jk_jailuser is being executed by root, I now have
/srv/jail/home/jailtest and all its contents owned by root:root. Oli, as you're
moving the home directory within the same filesystem, I don't suppose you're
seeing this problem?
I have come to realise where the problem lies in python (see
/usr/lib/pyhtonX.Y/shutil.py -> method copy2), but have not been able to find
out if the python developers are aware of the bug or are going to fix it. I
will try and find out about it in bug databases and mailing lists soon.

Two, secondary groups. When I have user "jailtest" in primary group "users",
but in secondary groups jailtest1 and jailtest2, those secondary groups are not
created in the jail and assigned to the user. Intentional bevaviour? I actually
discovered this in jk_addjailuser, but in its' manpage you mention
jk_addjailuser will be replaced by jk_jailuser.

Cheers,
Stephen