info-mtools

Re: [Info-mtools] Where is the git/svn/cvs/${vcs} repo?

From: Moritz Barsnick
Subject: Re: [Info-mtools] Where is the git/svn/cvs/${vcs} repo?
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 17:32:19 +0200

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 13:36:05 +0200, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
> Where is the git/svn/cvs/${vcs} repo for mtools? I looked at https://
> www.gnu.org/software/mtools/ and search online but the only repo I could find
> was for the web site: https://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=mtools.

I think your discovery is right, there is no source repository.

> Also, the mailing list has little activity and few responses to questions. Is
> the project dead?

I think its need has gone down extremely in the last year, with the
lack of media, especially with FAT12. ;) Most operating systems can
mount the file systems, and dosfstools and such probably are "good
enough" for most needs.

> I'd like to modify mcopy so that it can sort directory entries. The goal is to
> create reproducible file system images. I figured I'd check first how "live"
> the project is before spending time on a patch that (1) may not get integrated
> and (2) may not get released in a reasonable time.

a) You can grab the source here, it doesn't *need* a repository:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mtools/
b) You can post patches to the mailing list. You'd even have to do that
if there was a repository. ;-)
c) If it's for your own needs, do you really require your change to go
upstream and be released? (I'm not saying it can't.)

Try your best, it might get a release if it's worth it. If nothing
happens, you're free to check the license, put up a fork on GitHub, and
publicise your changes there. That still doesn't mean distributions
will use your fork, of course.

Give it a try! Just create a patch an post it here.

Cheers,
Moritz