info-mtools

[Mtools] Formatting large capacity SD cards

From: Simon Large
Subject: [Mtools] Formatting large capacity SD cards
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:24:33 -0000

Hi folks,

I am trying to get a 4GB SD card working on Windows and Linux. At the
moment a card formatted on Windows will not mount using kernel 2.6.16.
The help doesn't give many clues about how to pick the right number of
heads/tracks/sectors/sector-size. Any ideas?

I found an error in the output of minfo where it gives an mformat
command line to use.

(values read back from a 256M card)
sectors per track: 63
heads: 255
cylinders: 32
sector size: 512 bytes
hidden sectors: 99

mformat command line: mformat -t 32 -h 255 -s 63 -H 99

I think that should be: mformat -t 32 -h 255 -n 63 -H 99 -S 2

Simon